45cat Logo
 Welcome Guest
 Login  :  Join 45cat   


45cat Forums  »  Labels Forum  »  View Topic

  President  »  Any other P R E S I D E N T enthusiasts?    


 Add Reply

Page 2 of 10  :  Previous  :  Next  :   

  9th Sep 2011, 11:01 AM#21  QUOTE  REPORT  
groovemaster.dj

Joined: May 2011
Posts: 924
I have to like the label because it was Barry White's first UK home for his productions:
Barry White: All In The Run Of A Day
Felice Taylor: I'm Under the Influence Of Love
Felice Taylor: It May Be Winter Outside
Viola Willis: I'm Lost With Out The Love Of My Guy (re invented later as Love Unlimted's: I Belong To You)

Another less obvious President gem
Gwen McCrae Rocking Chair



  11th Sep 2011, 1:46 PM#22  QUOTE  REPORT  
Rigsby

Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 63
Looks like President registered an official FACEBOOK page!
I've posted a couple of releases via Youtube.

Please join up:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/President-Records-UK/187138104679003?sk=wall


  11th Sep 2011, 1:47 PM#23  QUOTE  REPORT  
Rigsby

Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 63
Looks like President registered an official FACEBOOK page!
I've posted a couple of releases via Youtube.

Please join up:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/President-Records-UK/187138104679003?sk=wallhttp://www.facebook.com/pages/President-Records-UK/187138104679003?sk=wall


  11th Sep 2011, 7:08 PM#24  QUOTE  REPORT  
Rigsby

Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 63
bigtom16 wrote:
I am looking for two President 45s Randy Fuller PT 111 and Bobby Fuller PT 394
Have a few President 45s myself can swap or trade from some of my Irish 45s.

I've got PT 394 which I might be up for swapping with another PT. Esp interested in any British recordings rather than stuff they licensed from the U.S etc


  13th Sep 2011, 12:04 AM#25  QUOTE  REPORT  
Rigsby

Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 63
Just got The Iron Maiden single on German President ! - in the UK it was of course released on the President owned Gemini label:
http://www.45cat.com/record/gms006

Will do a scan soon and add it. It's a beauty, amazing sound quality.

Must be the longest track on a President (albeit German) label 45?


  13th Sep 2011, 7:38 AM#26  QUOTE  REPORT  
Dr Doom

I know I need a small vacation
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 6183
Administrator
Rigsby wrote:
Just got The Iron Maiden single on German President ! - in the UK it was of course released on the President owned Gemini label:
http://www.45cat.com/record/gms006

Will do a scan soon and add it. It's a beauty, amazing sound quality.

Must be the longest track on a President (albeit German) label 45?

I'm afraid Gian_paolo has beaten you to it...



Great single.

Still need label scans.

:happy:


  13th Sep 2011, 9:37 AM#27  QUOTE  REPORT  
Col Wolfe

Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 784
Moderator
Rigsby wrote:

Must be the longest track on a President (albeit German) label 45?

Not sure if it's the longest, The Ghost 'When You're Dead/Indian Maid' 45 may have a longer running time?

EDIT- nope, just checked - Iron Maiden is waaaaaay longer!

Edited by Col Wolfe on 13th Sep 2011, 10:09 AM

  14th Sep 2011, 5:13 PM#28  QUOTE  REPORT  
The Toad

It was either this or getting a life.
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 3912
I find President interesting not so much for itself but for all the obscure little labels that it distributed - Zara, Gold, Survival, VC, Riverdale, Rainbow and so on.


  14th Sep 2011, 7:37 PM#29  QUOTE  REPORT  
Col Wolfe

Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 784
Moderator
The Toad wrote:
I find President interesting not so much for itself but for all the obscure little labels that it distributed - Zara, Gold, Survival, VC, Riverdale, Rainbow and so on.

I see them as the grandaddy of Backs/Soundclash - a major player in the independents yet helping out lots of other smaller outfits with distro/stock control etc.

what other labels had President involvement? Biggies like JayBoy, Torpedo.... Bulldog, Spiral, Strawberry.....


  15th Sep 2011, 12:02 PM#30  QUOTE  REPORT  
Rigsby

Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 63
Col Wolfe wrote:
The Toad wrote:
I find President interesting not so much for itself but for all the obscure little labels that it distributed - Zara, Gold, Survival, VC, Riverdale, Rainbow and so on.

I see them as the grandaddy of Backs/Soundclash - a major player in the independents yet helping out lots of other smaller outfits with distro/stock control etc.

what other labels had President involvement? Biggies like JayBoy, Torpedo.... Bulldog, Spiral, Strawberry.....

Aaah, Backs! They distributed my vinyl single a few years back. Were great at getting it in the shops abroad.



  15th Sep 2011, 12:04 PM#31  QUOTE  REPORT  
Rigsby

Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 63



  15th Sep 2011, 12:23 PM#32  QUOTE  REPORT  
Rigsby

Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 63


what other labels had President involvement? Biggies like JayBoy, Torpedo.... Bulldog, Spiral, Strawberry.....[/quote]

I've got loads of Seville labels and a few Crystal's (President owned/financed)
I'm never entirely sure what 'Marketed by President Records' means in ALL cases. Quite a few of the subsidiaries I've noticed are published by Kassner, so I guess the labels were indeed OWNED and/or FINANCED by President rather than just distributed by them, the one's they just distributed are too many to mention but would include Galaxy for a while. In the case of Dart, apparently President had financial control while Dart retained artistic control.
Enterprise as a label and distributor was also owned by President...


  15th Sep 2011, 5:31 PM#33  QUOTE  REPORT  
Hawkmarty

Many are called...
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 1408
Moderator
Rhapsody was marketed by President but I'm not sure if they released any singles. I have an LP by Shusha but the 7" from it was on President.


  16th Sep 2011, 12:12 PM#34  QUOTE  REPORT  
Rigsby

Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 63


Wasn't aware that President owned the label Power Exchange for a while - had a UK number one in '76 with J J Barrie :)

Edited by Rigsby on 16th Sep 2011, 12:12 PM

  16th Sep 2011, 1:20 PM#35  QUOTE  REPORT  
recordman46

Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 1674
Power Exchange was originally financed by EMI with Paul Robinson (music publisher) and Steve Rowland (producer) as the two main execs. Barry Authors (J.J. Barrie) might also have been involved at the label apart from being an artist. After the deal with EMI lapsed, and it can't have lasted very long, marketing and distribution moved to President - that label never owned Power Exchange. I think several labels gravitated to President as it could offer wholesaling, export sales and UK distribution via its Enterprise subsidiary.


  16th Sep 2011, 4:54 PM#36  QUOTE  REPORT  
Rigsby

Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 63
recordman46 wrote:
Power Exchange was originally financed by EMI with Paul Robinson (music publisher) and Steve Rowland (producer) as the two main execs. Barry Authors (J.J. Barrie) might also have been involved at the label apart from being an artist. After the deal with EMI lapsed, and it can't have lasted very long, marketing and distribution moved to President - that label never owned Power Exchange. I think several labels gravitated to President as it could offer wholesaling, export sales and UK distribution via its Enterprise subsidiary.

Ah, that explains a lot, thanks for the info :)




  16th Sep 2011, 6:48 PM#37  QUOTE  REPORT  
Rigsby

Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 63
Just for clarification, If one is looking to collect the releases of President and any label they owned (i.e labels for which they either signed the artist or licensed the music from overseas labels), we'd be looking at

PRESIDENT
SEVILLE
JAY BOY
GEMINI
CRYSTAL
ENTERPRISE/NEW WORLD
JOY (or was this only marketed by them?)
Any others?

The ones I thought might be owned by them but were only marketed/distributed(?) i.e not looking to collect for now:
Bulldog
Spiral
Galaxy
Dart (Financed and distributed only, they didn't have artistic input)
Rhapsody (or is this one they owned?)
Energy
and many others......

Feel free to correct or add to any of the above :)




Edited by Rigsby on 16th Sep 2011, 6:50 PM

  20th Sep 2011, 11:38 PM#38  QUOTE  REPORT  
indieman

Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2
You listed CRYSTAL - that's an interesting one, as President manufactured all Crystal releases (with their Enterprise arm distributing them) according to
this article
There was some artistic interest too from President though, as David Kassner produced one of the Cottage singles, and Kassner and Mediant (part of Kassner group) published quite a few of the songs released on Crystal.

Edited by moderator on 21st Sep 2011, 7:56 AM

  23rd Sep 2011, 7:03 PM#39  QUOTE  REPORT  
fabgear66

I was so much older then I'm younger than that now
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 3142
Now have another two President singles:
PT 267
PT 281
Yes I know, but it does increase my number of President singles by 100%,
to the grand total of 4. Well it's a start.


  24th Sep 2011, 9:48 AM#40  QUOTE  REPORT  
Paul Vinyl

Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 1646
Moderator
I bought my 4th president single yesterday for 30p and what a cracker. :smile:


Fab
I feel I'm in competition with you to, I'm going to see how many I can find for the cheapest price(without using ebay)

Edited by Paul Vinyl on 24th Sep 2011, 9:54 AM

Page 2 of 10  :  Previous  :  Next  :   

 Add Reply

45cat Forums  »  Labels Forum

45cat website ©2014  :  Privacy Policy  :  Terms  :  Contact Us  :  Visit 45worlds.com  :  Like us on Facebook  :